Re: Billups

- ----------
> From: CECIL WRIGHT <cdubs@loki.atcon.com>
> To: celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: Billups
> Date: Thursday, January 23, 1997 11:51 AM
>
> I have no idea if he would come out after this year, but he is more than
> worthy of taking the time to investigate.  I have heard rumblings that he

> wants to get his degree, and I don't know much about his personal or
> family situation.  But I'm telling you, THIS GUY CAN'T MISS!!!
>

>Cecil, I am always hesitant to call someone a "Can't miss".  There have
been so many players that have had extremely successful college careers,
but have not did anything in the NBA. Some never even making it there.

I can think back to the likes of Jack Givens, Fred Banks, Greg Kelser,
Donald Williams, Scotty Thurman, Ed Pinckney, and our own Pervis Ellison,
leading teams to national championships,  but disappearing in the NBA. Some
recent examples of major underachievers are Donyell Marshall, Lionel
Simmons, Ed O'bannon, Eric Montross, Corliss Williamson, Shawn Bradley,
Cherokee Parks,  etc.  In the last 15-20 years, I have seen very few "Can't
Miss " prospects .  Someone a while back posted a list of the top draft
picks in the last 10-15 years, a high % never really panned out.

Does anyone still have that list ?

Other than Duncan, I don't know if any other players will become franchise
players.  I have seen Ron Mercer play since high school & like his
potential, but I have mixed feelings, as others do, on the likes of Van
Horn, Fortson, Vaughn, Koul, etc.,  especially with a picks in the top 5.
Billups looks good, the Kansas game and the tournament will be a good test.

I hope the Celtics do their homework on these 2 picks.

John