Re: Todd Day at 2

> No Flames from me. But I wouldn't keep Day. His contract is up at the
> end of the year and he represents the Sherman Douglas money. I think
> it's close to 4 million. We need to get under the cap and be positioned
> when the next wave of suitable free agents become available. The last
> thing we need is yet another 2 guard with a long term big buck contract.
> We need to be creative and find a way to move Dee for a contract that is
> up in the next year or two, combine the money with Day's by letting him
> go at the end of the season, and be positioned with 10 million
> (Brikowski and Lister's $$ included) to grab a front line free agent.
> Two number ones this year and 10 million to spend in two years would
> change the total complexion of this squad.

I think keeping Todd Day may be easier and cheaper than that.  First, he
does not represent all of Sherm's money.  Day makes less than 3 million a
year.  Remember, Lister was part of the deal as well, and there could be
up to a 20 percent difference as well.

Second, I believe the team holds an option on Days contract for 1997-98.
I wouldn't sign him to a long term contract, but I would pick up the
option, keeping him on until the 98 free agents are available (Joe Smith,
Kevin Garnet, etc.)  Day has more skills than any other 2 guard we have,
and he has been playing under control for most of the year.  ML may be
getting through to him, and an undercontrol Todd Day is better than what
most teams have at the two guard - as he gives a great combination of
scoring, passing, defense, and rebounfind.

Also, don't forget the big money the team needs to shell out.  Although we
may be able to free up a lot of money (probably closer to 8 million) - we
have to sign 2 lottery picks and David Wessley.  That may eat up most of
the money right there, especially if both picks are in the top 3.

Adam

 > This
is
what Miami and New York did. Why the hell can't we? > > Patience Please.