Peter May article

Marc Lamphier wrote:
>Actually I admit ignorance to the third point. The Peter May article that
>was discussed in this newsgroup several weeks ago never made it to the
>internet site so I haven't read it. I would be interested in hearing a
>little more about what he said of the Gastons (and how he knows); why Peter
>Mayu thinks they are being cheap, and more generally how an owner goes
>about spend money to attract a player that doesn't involve restictions
>imposed by the salary cap. I'd appreciate anyone who can shed some light on
>these points.
Peter said that he used to think Gaston didn't understand that he was
ruining the team, but that from what he has heard (sources not named) he now
believes that Gaston doesn't care. Revenues are up again and all Gaston
cares about is cont    inuing to make money. The ways they are being cheap
were varied, and  remember: revenues are up, so corner cutting is not for
lack of money to spend (although doing so would lessen payments to the
partners). They have gutted the scouting budget (can't recall exact figure)
and ALL advance scouting is done by tape. ML is not the only person doing
more than one job that most teams spread out -e.g. Trainer is also
conditioning coach and something else I can't recall. Other GMs (Knicks &
Suns) quoted saying that by things like their agreeing to pay salary after
the trade it was possible to make 'impossible' trades and dump contracts to
turn team around. Contrasted to some 'shrug' quotes from Gaston saying that
they do all the cap lets them. Other corner cuttings make C's less
attractive to free agents -e.g. C's practice facility is out of the way at
Brandeis, with Brandeis people in the gym playing practically alongside.
Most teams have their own, near or in arena. Gaston quoted as saying they've
thought about doing something sometime. Expanding/redoing corporate offices
did not seem to require as much thought before spending the dough.
There was a running thread in the article showing how the Knicks laid out
bucks and effort to attract Allen Houston, as counterpoint to how the C's
are operating. Knicks did a lot of wining and dining and making Allen
Houston feel special, along with bringing people like Ewing in to talk with
him, having Spike Lee and others do a video saying how they needed him, talk
of what plans for the future were and the significance of the franchise.
Made him feel very *wanted* and special. All before salary was even
discussed. Think of the difference between proposing at a McDonalds and at
the Ritz and you get the idea.
Other points scattered through the article along the usual -ML a nice man
but unqualified, Bird unlikely to get further involved until/if Gaston
sells, etc. Gaston got mad at comments from Knicks & Suns GMs over how *his*
team was being run and sent them nasty letters. Overall conclusion -basic
need is management change from ownership on down (with which I concur).
Overall impression, since no one there knows what they are doing aside from
Gaston knowing how to make money (which he is doing), money is only spent
where it must be or feeds Gaston's ego, not on nitty gritty necessities like
scouting, staff, facilities. This combined with instability and general
amatuerishness means the only free agents they can get are people like
'Nique and Brick who come only for the money they won't receive elsewhere.
Hope this is what you wanted
- -Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@mail.idt.net