Re: The Coming of Antoine

 I have two question for you (I may have asked you one
of them before).

1) Can Duncan and Walker both reach their full potential on the same
team?
2) If the Celtics don't get the #1 pick, and they take one of the
quick shot blocking centers that seem to be available, can they build
a contender around that player (Battie for instance) and Walker?

Dear Bill,

I think so.  Tim Duncan is a true center after the mold of Bill Russell,
which thrills me, given that Wilt II now plays for the Lakers.  As far as him
reaching his potential, I think he will do it only as a center.  As far as
playing alongside Antoine, when has having a talented, fast rebounding
machine with oodles of scoring ability ever hurt a player -- especially one
with as litte ego as Duncan seems to have?

2)  If we don't get Duncan, there is still cause for celebration.  We'll get
Mercer or Thomas, somebody with superstar potential, and as you say a quick
shotblocker.  I worry about Tony Battie turning into Lorenzo Williams, but I
doubt all the people who know about basketball who like him can be wrong.
 Don Leventhal, ESPN's scout, rates Battie as the number 2 prospect, which
seems like an overreaction, but still says a lot.  I think though you have to
go for talent with the (our) first pick.  We are set at forward, but if
Mercer is gone, Tim Thomas has immense potential, and Van Horn is a 20 point
scorer too, although I wonder about his defense -- again, they say he's
complete, they can't all be wrong.