Sportsline Heat Team Report

Here is some good info from the Miami's  team report

Miami

GETTING INSIDE

When Isaac Austin and Eric Murdock become free agents July 1, every team
under the salary cap will be allowed to offer them more money than Miami,
which is restricted by two provisions in the collective bargaining
agreement.

"We're hoping against hope this insanity stops," said Keith Glass, who
represents Murdock. "You pay a guy 18 million a year and you can't keep
your third guard. There is something wrong with that system. It's a stupid
system."

Austin has been impressive in Alonzo Mourning's absence and has teams
lining up to make him offers. Murdock has become a vital player down the
stretch of close games.

"When you develop a young player, he comes in at low money ... we've really
got our backs against the wall," Heat coach Pat Riley said. "There has to
be an adjustment there."

Austin can only re-sign for 108 percent of the average salary (the Early
Bird exception), plus 20 percent increases. The average salary will be
about $2.5 million this season, which means the Heat could offer Austin a
six-year deal (players cannot be signed beyond their 35th birthday, Austin
will be 29 next summer) for $22.5 million, an average of $3.75 million per
year.

Murdock, who makes the minimum of $272,250, can re-sign for $326,700 (the
non-Bird exception).

Austin could sign for two years then re-sign for any amount and Murdock
could sign for one year then re-sign under the Early Bird exception. But
both players will have to take less money to stay with Miami. Murdock said
he's willing. Austin won't say.

"This is not the time for me to be thinking about it but when I do I'll
pick the best situation for myself and my career," said Austin, who is in
the final year of a two year contract that paid him $320,000 last year and
$384,000 this season. "I hope I can come back to this team. This is a team
on the rise. I've been groomed in this system. I know this system."

Those general managers polled said Austin should receive offers that
average at least $5 million a year. Austin's agent, Paco Belassen, said
Austin is "priceless."

Even that number could be low, considering that Travis Knight signed with
Boston for $22 million over seven years and Seattle's Jim McIlvaine is
averaging $4.8 million. Also, with all the top centers signed to long-term
deals, Austin's main competition in the free agent market next summer is
Charlotte's Matt Geiger and Vlade Divac and Orlando's Rony Seikaly.

"Our only choice is to hope," Heat General Manager Randy Pfund said. "You
want him to play well, you want him to help you, but you hope you can put a
long-term deal together."

Miami's other choice is to package Austin with a higher priced player in a
trade. The Heat could not trade Austin alone and receive equal value
because of his contract.

Glass advises his clients to take the best offer, but said the decision
will be Murdock's.

"I want this to be my last stop," said Murdock, 29. "Hopefully it will work
out here. I'm happy with my role. But there are options you have to look
at."