Baker, Walker, etc.

Alex asked:

> 1) Would you trade Walker for Vin Baker, straight up? If so, would you also
> trade Walker and Mercer for Baker?
> 2) Would you trade Walker for Tim Duncan, straight up? If so, would you also
> trade Walker and Mercer for Duncan?
1.  No and NO.
2.  Yes and no.  Considering Walker's potential, the C's needs right now
and their prospects for future development, Duncan may be the only
player in the NBA for whom I'd trade Walker straight up.  (Grant Hill is
the only other one I'd even consider -- all of the other superstars are
too old to help the C's when they'll need it).

Greg Odegaard wrote:

> Regarding Vin Baker;  I travel frequently to Seattle on business, catch the
> media coverage and sports talk, and it appears that Seattle is very much in
> love with Vin Baker.  In fact he sang the National Anthem at a game the
> other night, and his teammates mobbed afterword with congrats.  The event
> was noted in the local paper, with strong encouragement from the team and
> fans.  Seattle appears to be happy losing Kemp and picking up a quality
> player like Baker.

I read somewhere that not only did Baker get to sing the anthem, but the
Sonics flew in his old church choir from Hartford to back him up for the
occasion.  They seem to be pulling out all the stops to keep him happy,
and who could blame him if he is?  The Sonics may be the best team in
the league right now.  Vin has this season and next to decide whether he
wants to come to Boston, but considering that the Sonics will have
unlimited funds to pay him (wasn't Payton locked up long term last year
for a relatively paltry $9M per or so?), I wouldn't hold my breath.
Besides, do we even need Vin with the forwards we have?  We need a
CENTER -- a defensive minded, rebounding beast.  Jayson Williams would
be great, but I doubt he's leaving NJ.  Austin would be a nice catch
too.

Bowen rules.  I believe he is signed for this year and next (i.e., I
think Edney is the only one whose contract is up at year end) and after
that he will be eligible for the "early Bird" exception that allows him
to sign for the league average, which by that time should be a princely
sum.  Of course, that assumes that the current collective bargaining
agreement remains intact, which is hardly a sure thing...

Finally, as far as trades are concerned, I can't understand why people
are talking about getting rid of Ellison and DeClerq.  WE NEED SIZE.  I
don't want to see Antoine have to play the 5 ever again.  John Thomas,
if his pre-draft vital stats are to be believed, is all of 6'7".   Until
Roy Rogers "strengthens his quadriceps" and does whatever else he needs
to do to get active, we can't afford to lose anybody over 6'9" and 225
lbs.

Michael Gooen