Coaching

To add my 2-cents to the "best coach" discussion...

Basing a coach on team statistics is unreliable - certainly over the
short term. Perhaps over a career... perhaps.

A coach's job is to put his (her) team in the best possible position to
win. This includes:
1. Are the players in good physical condition (stamina, strength etc.)?
2. Are players used in ways that best take advantage of their athletic
skills?
3. Does the coach employ good situational strategies (X's and O's)?
4. Can players execute plays the coach calls for consistently?
5. Do the players play with hustle and desire?

No coach can guarantee results, but if a coach succeeds at the above, he
(she) will succeed given good players. Looking at that list, it is my
impression that Pitino is doing a good job. He can take steps to help
them improve both their shooting percentage and passing - two very
"coachable" skills. If this team improves in these two areas, then I'd
judge Pitino as a very good coach.

- - tom