Assists

Greetings,

	I'm hoping someone give me an assist with a few scorekeeping inquiries.
What's the official definition of an NBA assist?  Is an assist simply a
pass that leads directly to a basket?

	How much leeway is given to official scorers when it comes to making
decisions on assists?  If a scorer gets a pass, but has to take several
dribbles to get off his shot, does the passer still get credit for an assist?

	Is there any truth to the sentiment that certain players (Magic,
Stockton?) over the years have had their assist numbers padded by
over-generous official scorers.  Finally, are these stat keepers on the
payroll of the home team, or are they employed by the NBA?

Joe Urtz
Cambridge, MA