Re: Billups/Sprewell and more

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, R. Bentz Kirby wrote:

> Earlier tonight, I made reference to the Celtics have a history of "saving"
> players who have a reputation as being "problems."  I mentioned DJ and Chief.
> I think Charlie Scott was one as well.  But I do not think that any of them
> ever struck their coach during practice and assualted the assistant coaches as
> well.

Don't forget about Marvin Barnes who assaulted a teammate named Larry
Ketvirtis with a tire iron while at Providence College.  And Kermit
Washington was never really the same after he caved in Rudy T's face with
a punch.

This kind of behaviour has an adverse effect on the individual regardless
of how macho they seem to be.  Washington, unlike most perpetrators, stated
that he deeply regretted his incident and I'd like to believe him, as if
memory serves me correctly, a brawl was taking place and Washington
thought that Rudy was running at him to fight, not be a peacemaker.  No
excuse, I know, but just for perspective.

Cecil