The concept of a salary cap as  way of maintaining competive balance
within the league is a good one. Unfortunately, the mechanics do not
always translate well. Here's is my solution - although I know it has
zero chance of ever being adopted.

Set exact identical salary levels for every team on a scale of 1-12; 1
would be your highest paid player and 12 would be a minimum salary for
your 12th man. When a player signs a contract with a team, he agrees to
the pay in accordance to that team's pecking order. For instance, he may
sign on to the 5th salary scale for a particular team.

- - tom