Weekend wrap-up

After feeding the rumor mill on Friday, I decided to sit back and watch =
the festivities regarding the recent personnel moves.  So far I have =
concluded:

1.  The draft picks were great, but as many people note these picks were =
available based on moves and poor team performance prior to RP signing =
on.  I still do not put as much credence in the upside as an NBA center =
with Duncan.  He himself has doubts.

2.  With Billups, Mercer and Walker, the team has a solid foundation for =
the future.  I cannot discount the added value that comes with the fact =
that Mercer and Walker are his talents from college.  A big problem of =
late with the league is the immature head cases trying to run their =
teams.  This should not be a concern with RP at the helm, but think of =
the leadership he can draw on from his own college players.

3.  Knight is a good pick-up for the money, on average, and because he =
should play solid center in RP's system.  No one should kid themselves =
that he is not a top 10 center but, many teams of late have succeeded =
with just solid center play.  He will come to play, knowing he is the =
future.  This confidence has a great value.  At worst this position =
should be covered, on most nights. Who were we going to get to match-up =
with the best anyhow?

4.  The only problem with Knight's signing was having to lose Fox.  The =
petty league salary cap rules are crazy, when you consider the future of =
a team.  With Mercer, Walker, and Mills, Fox would have scrambled for =
minutes long term.  I am sorry to see him leave, due to his all around =
solid play, and dedication to the game.  Same game +/- as Mills. =20

5.  Losing Radja was a blessing.  His salary was a drain, and his =
potential with his injuries was at great risk.  Oh to have had him when =
he was drafted.  Same for Portland and Sabonis.  The Blazers would have =
a title if he had come to the US when he was drafted in 1986.  I believe =
this is a very important note.  The expected 8 to 10 first players on =
this team have no apparent history of injury.  Williams had some =
lingering question on this fact.  It is dumb to have to say it, based on =
last years team, but lack of injuries will make the difference.  Of =
course I am not including Brown, Barros, Minor or Pervis in this =
discussion, all coming off bad injury years (Pervis a bad injury =
career).
=20
6.  Losing Williams was on the surface tough.  It is unlikely with all =
we now know, that Denver would have given up a #1 pick, and if they did =
it would have been a 2000 or later.  We hung ourselves out to dry, and =
this is what you get.  I see Seattle with Kemp, potetially being in the =
same boat.  Now if only some team could make such a deal for the Injured =
4, noted in #5.  All would be forgiven if we can get something for any =
of the 4.  Cap Room!
=20
7.  The other signings have more or less made sense, with one exception =
Bowen.  Bring a guy like this into camp and make him earn a spot.  Do we =
really think he wouldn't have been happy with this scenario.  Declerq is =
a very good signing.  Massenburg will certainly  contribute, with only a =
2 year deal.  Edney is a solid, 1 year signing, who has yet to see his =
potential.  Mills in my opinion is a great pick-up.  His game and heart =
give me little concern for Celtic greatness.  I believe he along with =
Billups/Mercer/Walker will being starting for many years to come with =
great success. =20

To conclude, RP was given the charge to make a winner. With what he had =
to work with, current roster and contracts and all, he should be =
commended for putting together what appears to be a solid performing =
team for many years.  Sure he has probably left some money, so to speak, =
on the table, but this league has mistakes at every turn on every team. =
I am as confident as I have been since May, that RP can motivate and =
coach with the best, and these players will leave nothing on the court, =
proving him right.  Remember he has shown great confidence in many =
players,  this is the making of success.  If Dee Brown can return in top =
form, watch out.  Unless Chicago gets their pieces together, Halloween =
could be very interesting.  Unless someone takes me to task, (please =
do), I am done for a while.