Future

I have and will continue to have great faith in Rick Pitino.  His
personnel moves have been somewhat questionable.  But all of these moves
have been for role players.

After the Celtics lost the lottery and the Pippen deal fell through,
Pitino went in a different direction.  He is banking on the trio of
Walker, Mercer, and Billups becoming future all-stars.

The win total of next years Celtics team is irrelevant.  Even if they
only win 20 games, as long as Pitino develops Walker, Mercer, and Billups
then the season is a success in my mind.

In addressing next years free agent class, I believe only Penny Hardaway
and Scottie Pippen are all-stars.  Pitino either decided that he could
not create enough cap space (probably in the 12 to 15 million dollar
range) or that those young players were more of a gamble than the three
he already has on his roster.

Although I am skeptical of some of the personnel moves Pitino has made,
all of those were for role players.  Role players don't win
championships.  He made these moves to make the team more exciting and
possibly win more games.

As I stated before, I have great faith in Pitino.  Who would you rather
have developing the talents of Walker, Mercer, and Billups ----  Pitino
or M.L.??

P.S. Don't forget, even if all of Pitino's moves blow up in his face, Vin
Baker is a free agent in 1999 and the Celtics would have a year to clear
up cap space to sign him.

Eric