the future

not that I know anything here, but it seems to many observors that NBA
teams will have to depend upon three or four key players to stay with
them over a decade while everyone else is added in for a few years.
That's been coming.  And who better to accept that and make it work for
him than a college coach.  For the Celts, that could be keeping three (at
least two) of the Walker, Billups, Mercer trio, plus say Mills and a few
role players like DeClerq and Edney; beyond that, the team is constantly
changing.

If that's the new reality, then coaching and talent evaluation are all the
more important.  Our first view of how Pitino's crew would handle this
reality has just passed before our eyes--big time.  Where it comes
together (or not) is in the coaching, the teaching, the maturing of this
team.  I really think this group can win big in a few years.  That means
some more maneuvering, some coming and going, but the nucleus
remaining.

I'm glad we've not fallen into the "wait until the free agents of '98" camp.
After waiting for Duncan, I am happy to move on with what's available
now.

Enough.      Gene     any word from the latest mini-camp??

P.S.:  Two words about Travis Knight:  Alvyn Adams