latest moves

          Here's my take on the latest moves:

          The point everyone seems to be missing is the time element
          in the deal. Could Pitino and Wallace have gotten more for
          Eric Williams if they had time to try? Certainly.

          The question they had to ask themselves was, if they took
          that time, could they make a trade that would have brought
          in more than Chris Mills and Tyus Edney? That is open to
          debate. Obviously Pitino and Wallace felt Williams for
          Mills/Edney was better than any other deal out there for
          Williams. In order to get it done, they had to make the deal
          fast, before anyone else signed Mills/Edney.

          Personally, I like the deal. I think we all have a tendency
          to over-value the players we grow attached to. There is no
          question Mills is a better player than Williams.
          Statistically they are similar, but you have to consider the
          slow-down play of the Cavs when considering Mills' stats.
          Put him in the wide-open (undisciplined) system of M.L Carr,
          and Mills likely would have bettered Williams' numbers.

          Now things should get interesting. We have 13 players under
          contract and 12 spots. The tradeable players, it would seem,
          are Brown/Barros/Minor/Ellison, but none of them are
          attractive to other teams right now. One or more of those
          players may improve their stock with their play this season,
          but that doesn't solve the roster problem heading into the
          season.

          I believe Ellison likely will start the season on the
          injured list, easing the roster squeeze until a deal can be
          worked out for Brown/Barros/Minor.

          That's just a guess. So far, I'm pleased with all the moves.
          And to all the naysayers: Remember, next year's free agent
          class is just the first of many good ones. Every year after
          this the crop of three-year players will be attractive.
          Several teams will over-pay for players like Joe Smith and
          Antonio McDyess, eliminating salary cap flexibility for
          years to come and fetching just one decent player in the
          process. The Celts have acquired several serviceable players
          with upside potential, and can still snag that big free
          agent say three or four years down the road.

          Just my take on things.

          Mark