on Eric

I apologize if I'm on a worn out subject (I've missed much of the last
month's postings) but I think it might make good sense to re-sign Eric
early in the year.

This is based on the theory that we will not compete for the few "stars"
next summer.  I don't think we should bank on such an uncertainty; most
will stay put and we won't have the $$ to match other teams.  So, for my
argument:  l.  Eric is a rising young SF/PF, very mobile, capable of quick
footed defense, if taught, a superior inside scorer (getting to the line is
important in itself and very useful for a pressing defense), excellent
attitude (it appears to me, anyway--I like players who smile rather than
taunt), and that's a lot of positives.  Plus, he could realistically give us a
15 to 20 point average without expecting to be "the man."  He fits well
into a team, I think.  2.  If he is developing well, we should re-sign him in
order to keep him or be able to trade him for next year.

The only down side I see is that he has no up side and Pitino has to make
that decision before too long, anyway.  We could always use Joe Smith,
Rasheed Wallace, or McDyess, but we won't likely get them and we
have Walker and DeClerq.  What we need is another (preferably bulky)
center--something we could get in the draft at #15 next year (that's a
prediction).

Cheers

Gene  (less than ninety days until we really begin to irritate our spouses)