RE: garnett

- -----Original Message-----
From:	MBerry [SMTP:MBerry@mail.journalink.com]
Sent:	Wednesday, August 20, 1997 6:53 PM
To:	celtics@igtc.COM
Subject:	garnett

          Everyone bashing Garnett is missing the point. He was
          involved in negotiations. He didn't accept the team's first
          offer -- albeit a huge offer. That isn't being greedy, it's
          being shrewd. When a person enters into negotiations, he
          does so with the assumption that the first offer he receives
          is not going to be the best offer -- and that his first
          counteroffer is not going to be his final counteroffer. So
          Garnett turned down $102 mill and said he wants $132 mill.
          The truth is, he is negotiating for something in between.
          It's called good business. Remember, he will get paid what
          the market demands -- but he doesn't control that market. If
          a team is willing to pay $132 mill for Garnett, why should
          he sell himself short.

OK, if there's no salary cap then its not that bad. If Garnett cares =
anything about winning, shouldn't he be concerned about how much of the =
cap he takes up (knowing that he can't win by himself?). I am not saying =
he should sign for the minimum to allow his team to sign other good =
players. All I am saying is take an offer that is good enough for you, =
don't ask for more just because you're the star of the team. Is $102mil =
good enough for Garnett? I think it's more than enough for him and his =
family.