Re: TODAY'S GLOBE

- ----------
> Hi.  Reading Peter May's article in today's Globe, brought to mind my own
question to which I've never received a satisfactory answer.  Why did
Pitino have to renounce ALL the free agents, and why did they feel they had
to offer Knight so much money, when the Lakers could not have matched even
a smaller amount.  He said he'd like to keep Fox and Conlon, but I don't
think he tried very hard to do so?
> Dorine

Most were worthless, but I believed Knight leaked that they had reached an
agreement, much like Antonio Daniels did last week and in order to sign
Knight he had to renounce the salary on all the players involved.  I am not
sure why the larry Bird exception would not apply to Fox, maybe since he
had already declared for free agency they could no longer use this  to go
over the cap to sign Fox ?