Re: NBA - land of greed?

Jim McMaster wrote:
<snip>

> The NBA still has not tapped pay-per-view in a serious way, but that
> is
> probably their last serious source of cash.  When they make it so only
> the
> wealthy can afford to see games, the mass fan base will disappear and
> the
> whole structure will come crashing down.  I will be sorry when that
> happens,
> but I do not see any other outcome.
> --
> Jim McMaster
> mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com

Jim:

You said a lot here and I believe it is true.  My last post was a point,
that I don't have cable and they have missed me already.  Second, I have
been saying for years that pro sports are going to move to pay per view.
I have already stopped watching football, and baseball has moved to
cable.

The truth is that the rich and the corporations finance the league.
(that and consessions.)  The average joe is fairly well squeezed out, or
else is a die hard fan.  In Charlotte they built an arena for the
Hornets.  Now, Shinn is going to move them.  Why, he can't make money
without the luxury boxes.  So, I suspect as the only strong tie I have
with sports is the Celtics, that in the near future, the only games I
will watch are my children's soccer matchs.

And btw, I went to the NCAA in Davidson several years ago when SC made
the final four.  It was a lot more exciting and fun than going to see
the Hornets play.  And I went to sleep during the Panthers game.   So, I
say sports as we know them are dead, we are just waiting for the wake.

Sad but true.

- --
Bentz
bocelts@scsn.net