free agent signings

>Celtics have easily been the
> busiest team in the Atlantic over the summer. Having renounced nine
> free agents, released Dino Radja after failing to have a trade with
> Philadelphia clear, the Celtics have pretty much obliterated any
> salary cap room for the lush '98 class with the signings of Travis
> Knight (seven years, $22 million), Andrew DeClercq (five years, $8.4
> million), Tony Massenburg (three years, $2.7 million) and Bruce Bowen
> (two years, $980,000). ...

I am just wondering why Pitino spent this kind of money on unproven players.
My list of possible reasons:

1) more experienced players weren't available or were too expensive
                (what about someone like Brian Williams -- why wouldn't
Pitino consider him?)

2) these guys have untapped potential that only Pitino recognizes

3) these guys have untapped potential that only Pitino can bring out

4) we can't wait for the "lush '98 class" - we've got to do something now,
even if it makes little sense

Any speculations?

well, we will see what happens. Here's hoping Pitino is a genius.

- -Marc