"Coach" and announcers

Bentz wrote re: Cs announcers
<snip>

>Maybe they just ought to promote "Coach", I wish I could remember his
>name, but he might be good.

Er, no. His name is Willie Maye and he's a really nice guy (I used to talk
with him at The Green Gang meetings), but no. Coach is a great schmoozer and
people person, which might make up a good sideline reporter (I don't think
he does that really well, either, myself) but isn't enough for color or play
by play.

No one's commented on the radio guys, so let me. Max has surprised me. I
thought he was brought in strictly as part of ML's don't worry, be happy
campaign. And I was glad enough to see him back in the Cs family for that,
but not happy with the idea per se. I would be happier without some of the
clownishness, but he has offered some truly sparkling analysis of players'
strengths and faults and why certain things were happening on the court and
bench. Not enough compared to the clownishness, but it has been interesting
and dead on when it was there. I've learned from him. And he's not afraid to
say when things are wrong, on the court, on the bench, and off the court.
Doesn't look for reasons to do it, but doesn't seem to hesitate when it's
called for. Spencer Ross is now history, of course, but I thought he blended
well with Max -he obviously enjoyed him and didn't condescend to him despite
the obvious differences in 'professionalism'. He knew what he saw on the
court and was pretty straightforward in announcing it -which is what you
want from play by play.

- -Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net