Fox

Sashi wrote:
<snip>
>But the interesting note is that the article says that Celtics
>are still interested; but Fox has to sit out 56 days of the
>season to go back to Celts!!
>
>What is the scoop here ? could Fox be signed and traded to Celts
>after the season starts ? Also note that all the interested teams
>are prepared tp pay Fox only the $1 million exception; at least as
>per the report.

Nope, that's against NBA rules too. The 56 days is because of the NBA rules
covering the Cs renouncing his rights as their own FA. Unlikely he'll wait.
Especially because at the time he was renounced, a report in the papers said
he was not pleased with the new Cs regime, because he had a verbal agreement
on a new contract in place.

>And finally why does Pitino want Fox back now, since Walker and
>Williams and even Mercer and Minor and "sleeper' Bruce are on board ?

Two words. Chemistry and leadership. This is a young team full of guys who
have never played together. Fox is a natural and willing leader, who has a
personality that keeps people from resenting him for doing the sort of
pushing and nagging that a team leader needs to do. He has given 100% every
game he's played and does the same off the court. He hustles, listens to
others and treats them with respect, and is willing to do whatever he is
asked to do. In other words, he provides that overused and usually misused
expression -a role model- for the team Pitino is trying to create. He is in
some ways a prototypical Pitino player -it's been mentioned since Pitino
came on board that the 2 key players we lost: Fox and Wesley were the most
Pitino-like players on last year's team. While Pitino expressed little
regret over losing Wesley, he has made a point of saying over and over how
sorry he was to have to let Fox go. We've all watched enough of his play
over the last few years enough to know it can't be strictly for talent or
quality of play reasons.

- -Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net