A quick question about free agency...

I keep hearing all this stuff about the Celtics dont have any room under
the salary cap to sign anymore quality free agents.  I am kind of confused
about the whole salary cap idea.  I was under the impression that each team
was allowed only to spend up to a certain amount each year.  Can anyone
explain this whole process to me.  The reason I am in question is because
Michael Jordan makes close to or more than the Celtics did last year.  This
does not include Rodmans 10 mil and Kucok 4 or 5 mil.  How can the Bulls
pull this off and the Celtics cant......Thanks
Steve