Food for thought

When I question Pitino's judgment, this is what I have in mind: Tony
Massenburg just signed a three year deal to play for the Celtics.  J.R.
Reid, a physically similar player, signed a 1 year deal with Charlotte.
Even if Massenburg is better, is he *so much better* that it makes sense
to lock him up for three full years.

On the other hand, what Pitino is doing still makes *infinitely* more
sense than what ML Carr did.  One difference is that Pitino has offered
less money (Knight's contract is worth less than Barros' because of
inflation).  The main difference, however, is that Pitino's has addressed
weaknesses on the team by signing role players, while ML Carr took the
5-minute shopping spree approach to free agency.  Carr would sign players
with big names (Wilkins, Barros) that did not fill any role on the team.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu