Re: Point forwards piece on ESPN sportscenter

At 09:00 PM 4/22/97 -0400, Michael S Hamilton wrote:
>Hello,
>
>	Tonight on sportscenter they did a piece on point forwards and when they
>mentioned the precursor to todays point forwards they did not mention who I
>expected.  They mentioned some piston who played for them like '83 to '86
>(or something).

I didn't see the piece, but maybe they'll show it on the "feel good"
edition. Was this former Piston you mentioned Kelly Tripucka by any chance?
He was a Piston around that time. If they did mention Tripucka, they made a
horrible choice, IMO.

>I was expecting Bird.  Correct me if I am wrong but was he
>not a forward who dished the assist, handled the ball, and could score from
>outside.  Sound like a point forward to me??

I always regarded Bird as a point forward also. Even toward the end of his
career when he switched to power forward, the ball went thru his hands on
almost every play.

>	don't get me wrong I liked the piece.  I also like some of the point
>forwards they listed, like Grant Hill.

Hill fits that role, as does Scottie Pippen (wholikely got mentioned as
well). I read one day that Scottie Pippen was "the first point forward".
Beep! Wrong! I think Paul Pressey was the player who made that role under
the Don Nelson days in Milwaukee.

|====================================================|
| Jon Michael Hamm 	   JonMichael@Honors.ou.edu  |
|====================================================|
|	 ACTUAL NEWSPAPER HEADLINES BLOOPERS         |
|        * Eye drops off shelf                       |
|        * Miners refuse to work after death         |
|        * Enraged cow injures farmer with ax        |
|        * Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors      |
|      Out of my mind.  Back in five minutes.        |

    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather....
      Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car...."