Sportszone Rookie of the Year Voting (fwd)

   Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:57:22 -0400
   From: Phe Meas <pmeas@user1.channel1.com>

   > Allen Iversen was the runaway winner in the poll.  After him it was
   > Stephon
   > Marbury, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Antoine Walker, and then Kerry
   > Kittles.  If
   > people want humble like you suggest; why the hell would anyone vote
   > for
   > iversen?

   I think they all deserve their positions/standings. I am not saying I
   don't like Walker, but truly what other place do you see him besides
   4th? Walker is very talented, but Shareef Abdur-Rahim is much better.

This is stupid.  Why is Abdur-Rahim better than Walker, let alone "much
better"?  Abdur-Rahim scored one point more per game, while getting two
less rebounds and one less assist per game.  Walker has a much bigger
upside than Abdur-Rahim -- that should be clear to anyone watching both of
them.

   Marbury and Iverson are both more athletic and more talented than
   Walker.

What?  Walker is extremely athletic, and very talented.  You are comparing
two point guards against a power forward.  Walker has great hands and is
very quick off the floor, and is both quick and fast.  His main weakness is
shooting, which is curable.

   Don't automatically give him the Rookie of the Year award simply
   because he's a Celtic and you're a fan of the Celtics. Sometimes you
   have to admit the truth. If Iverson, Marbury, & Rahim weren't in the
   league this year, then the award will definitely go to Walker.

Again, pretty stupid assessment.  Below, I've shown the ranking of the top
rookies by Tendex.  Antoine is 2nd, based purely on stats.  I tend to agree
with this ranking ... Iverson deserves ROY, but I'd prefer to build around
Walker, and I think he has the most potential of the recruiting class.

- -Andy