Re: 1996-1997 NBA Awards

Jeremy P. Ryan wrote:

> What are y'all's thoughts about the NBA awards? My humble opinion:
>
> Improved: Isaac Austin (from tub-a-lard to consistent bench presence)

I'm WAY behind in reading the mail, but I'd like to catch up by saying I
can't believe no one posted a nomination for David Wesley.  Sports
Illustrated ignored David, too, in favor of Austin, Voshon Lenard,
Bryant Reeves and Lindsey Hunter (what?!).  Here is a letter I e-mailed
them:

"First, you omit David Wesley from your NBA point guard rankings.  Now,
you ignore him completely in your assessment of Most Improved Player.
What gives?  Last season, he averaged 12.3 points and 4.8 assists; this
year, he's at better than 16 and 7--numbers that compare favorably with
top-notch PGs such as Terrell Brandon and Kenny Anderson.  Wesley is a
bulldog on defense, too.

"Wesley plays on a bad team, so, unlike Austin and Lenard, he doesn't
have the luxury of Alonzo Mourning to draw the attention of other
defenses.  And Wesley, who came out of the CBA, wasn't a lottery pick as
Reeves and Hunter were.

"By rising from nowhere in the face of adversity, Wesley has met the true
definition of 'most improved' more than anyone."

Last season, people on this list often said the Celts needed a point
guard.  No one says that now.  Furthermore, Wesley is ranked No. 22 among
ALL players in the league in ESPN SportZone's production ratings.  Give
him a few more talented teammates, and he will get even better.  He MUST
be retained.

Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, R.I.