Re: What should've been..

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Alex Caporicci wrote:

> was wondering what you guys thought of Lewis and where you think his career
> would have been hadn't tragedy struck.
>
> 	He is one of the main reasons I became a Celtics fan, and I thought my
> first post should be about the player who still has a place in my heart.

Lewis was an excellent player who was only going to get better.  However,
his skills as a player were not even his greatest asset to the team.
Lewis gave they Celtics two things they desperately need now:  leadership
and class.  In a league increasingly comprised of punks, Lewis stood out
as a quiet, serious, good-hearted, dedicated player and community leader.
The Celtics would not be the mockery they are now if Lewis were still with
us even if we had the same record.  I miss Lewis' off the glass bank shots
and his stop on a dime, jump straight up in the air, nothing but net
rainbows, but most of all I miss the dignity he lent to the team.  Walker
has skills but let's face it -- he is a clown and the Celtics are a
circus.  Fox tries, but he can't escape his bonehead reputation despite
his great improvement in that area.  The Celtics don't have anyone to
carry the torch of Celtic Pride.  The Cs need some talent but they also
need to bring respect back to the organization and that takes character as
well as talent.  If Lewis were still here, we could concentrate on getting
the talent.

CJM