Re: New Celtics coach?

Richard Manning wrote:

>If we can't get Rick Pitino to come to Boston, I think we should give Clem
>Haskins a look.

Coming out of lurking mode once again...

I would not give Clem much consideration as a head coach at the pro level.
IMHO Clem's best talents are not really suited to the pro game.  While Clem
is a _very_ nice man and solid recruiter, his coaching skills (Xs and Os)
have long been questioned here in Minnesota.

To his credit he's enjoyed great success at the U, and he rebuilt a
decimated program into a Final Four team.  His teams are often strong due to
the collective effort of all team members, and rarely have any individual
stars (of NBA quality anyway).  That is a great achievement, but seems to be
somewhat contrary to the trend in the NBA (see Bulls, Jazz, Heat, Rockets,
etc. = 3 star players with 9 role players and you can dominate with the
right coach).

Many fans feel he often shows poor judgment in his substitution rotation and
composition (meaning he plays his reserves too much and doesn't keep a good
"mix" of players on the floor at all times.)  His other criticisms are that
doesn't make needed adjustments quickly enough during the course of the
game, and that his teams have never had a fluid offensive set.

Clem is the classic example of a good college coach, who tries to help his
kids become upstanding young men.  A noble accomplishment, but not
necessarily what pro teams are looking for.   Plus, Clem seems to be very
happy with his situation at the U and has a strong dedication to the
community and the kids he brings here.  Therefore, I'm not sure Clem would
even have much interest in the Cs anyway.

IMHO the Cs would be better served trying to find someone other then Clem to
coach.  If the Cs dip into the college coaching pool, they should continue
with Pitino -- despite his public comments about having no interest at this
time.

Regardles of who the Cs want as their next coach, they have to make this
decision quickly.  The sooner they can fill the position with the right man,
the better off they will be.

Just my $.02 cents

Brian
Cs fan in Minneapolis (and U of Minn alum)
Clem is the man you want to be head coach for your alma mater, but not for
your favorite NBA team.