draft prediction

          Someone asked, so here's my prediction:

          1) Boston -- Tim Duncan
          2) Vancouver -- Ron Mercer
          3) San Antonio -- Tony Battie (although this may end up
          being Denver in this spot -- if it is, the Nuggets take Van
          Horn)
          4) Denver -- Van Horn (either way San Antonio ends up with
          Battie)
          5) Philadelphia -- Adonal Foyle
          6) Boston --- Chauncey Billups -- *

          * -- Picks 5 and 6 depend on Tim Thomas. If he comes out,
          Philly takes him at 5 and Boston takes Foyle.

          This is the pessimistic scenario in which Dallas stays at 6.
          It still is possible the Mavs might drop to 5. That could
          create an interesting dilemma between Thomas or Foyle.
          Is Thomas a Kevin Garnett waiting to happen or another
          Derrick McKey? Is Foyle another Antonio McDyess or another
          Yinka Dare?
          Also, Denver may make things interesting by reaching a
          little for Billups just to please the hometown fans. If that
          happens, Van Horn could drop all the way to 5 and fall right
          in the hands of Philly or (gulp) Boston.

          Also, I still am not closing the door on Pitino. If Bird
          becomes GM and the Celts land the top pick, I wouldn't be
          surprised to see him make the move. He always hedges just a
          bit "Right now, I'm 100 percent sure..." But what about a
          month from now? I apparently am in the minority who believe
          Larry Brown would be a good second choice. Remember, he
          actually won with the Clippers and had the Pacers a game
          from the NBA Finals. Neither of these teams have the
          resources the Celtics possess.

          I'd be interested to hear other thoughts.

          -- Mark