Re: the plot thickens (Bird, Pitino, etc.)

>   Pitino: Boston move unlikely
>
>   By Peter May, Globe Staff, 04/05/97
>
>   Rick Pitino made two things clear yesterday. He is not likely to leave
the
>   University of Kentucky to take over the Celtics. And Larry Bird must be
>   part of the Boston management team for him to even consider the move.
                              ..etc..

Rick Pitino does look unlikely, but what irks me is "why doesn't he say
so", instead of statements like Bird has to be in front office in order for
him to even consider the C's unless he is jockeying for some leverage
during negotiation. Since Bird has started this, it is his responsibilty to
make the judgment on whether the C's can get Pitino or not. The C's need
the new team in front office atleast by May 18th so that they can make
decisions on the draft, FA's, trades etc. Now Bird has already contacted
Pitino, Brown etc, and that's good, but amidst all this introspection, I
wish he talks to some realistic candidates like Westphal, DJ <can you guys
think of some others>. As for ML Carr, let me say he is a nice person, but
the failure of the C's this past two seasons is his responsibility. Larry
Bird is enthusiastic, willing and feels deeply about the C's,  maybe he
will make a some mistakes because he doesn't have the experience but I am
willing give my vote for the captains job. - Mishra