Re: the Chief and foul shots

On Sat, 5 Apr 1997 00:06:22 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>I was just going over some old stats from the 91-92 season and I noticed=
 that
>Chief didn't take many foul shots.  Since I only started following the
>Celtics recently and never got to see Chief play back when he ruled I =
don't
>know if that is representative of his career or not.  As a matter of =
fact,
>I've only seen Chief play once and the reception was so bad I could =
barely
>tell who was who.  In every game that I looked at, Chief took no more =
than 2
>or 3 free throws.  Considering that he took a fair number of shots it =
seems
>to me that he would get fouled a bit.  I was just wondering.
>
>later, Jake

Jake,
	My memory is that the Chief did not get fouled real often,
because his shots were generally unblockable.  The release on his
turnaround jumpshot was so high, that I honestly don't remember anyone
ever blocking it.   Hence there was no reason to foul.
	Looking at Parrish's career numbers, he seems to be towards
the low end on free throw attempts/field goal attempt, but he's not
the lowest by any stretch.  Remember too that he's approximately a
.540 fg% shooter as opposed to .720 from the line (these stats don't
include the last couple of seasons), so it didn't make as much
difference to him whether he got fouled as it did for a player like
L.B. (of course Larry didn't get fouled that much either, but that was
because of where he shot from).

Bill Cooper
wfcooper@tiac.com