where is my happy ending? where have all the cowboys gone?

	I've been reading posts for a couple weeks and just thought I'd
give my own feedback.  First of all, realistically I don't think we'll be
able to move any salary (Dino, Dee, Dana, Minor, Pervis) without giving up
something we should hold on to.  So my ideal draft would be Duncan and
Battie (if he is coming out).  Battie looks to be a top four pick and
right now the Dallas pick looks to be number 5 (Philly is coming on
strong).  But I remember last year thinking that we wouldn't get Walker at
6.  I assumed that Minnesota would take the best player available, but
thank McHale they had a trade worked out with Milwaukee for Marbury.

	If we get lucky and draft these two, it would give us a next
generation big three.  Dino and Pervis would combine to give us a solid
third big man off the bench.  Actually I would start Dino in the beginning
while Battie adjusts to the NBA.

	The reason I want two big guys is that I see Walker as a 3 (as
does he).  When he matched up with the better 4's this year (Baker and
Garnett come to mind) he was outclassed due to the fact that they have
much more size and as much athleticism.  Besides a Walker/Duncan duo at 4
and 5 would be way too small for a starting frontcourt.

	Moving on to the second round pick, the lastest Leventhaul ratings
have Andre Woolridge at number 30 which is exactly where the C's pick
would end up right now (there are only 28 first rounders this year).  He
would make a great fit, giving us a backup point guard with some upside
potential.  Although if a bigger guard were to slip down that far
(especially Anderson or Simon however unlikely), I would scoop them up
like a ground hog searching for food while some grounds keepers try to run
him over or be-head him with a metal rake.  (I have some weird friends.)

	Another sort of positive aspect of taking a point instead of a 2
in the second round is that it actually gives some value to Greg Minor.
He would be the only "true" 2 guard on the team.  So given all that,
here's my roster for next year:

1: Wesley, Woolridge
2: Minor, Dana, Dee
3: Walker, Williams
4: Dino, Battie (a definite starter within a couple months)
5: Duncan, Pervis

	I don't care who gets the 12th spot (Day, Fox, Conlon, Szabo,
Hamer, maybe a free agent) as long as they only get a one year deal.  I'm
hoping we can then free up money for next year and make a serious bid for
Penny Hardaway.  I see him playing the 2 spot and bringing up the
ball/running the offense some of the time.  It would take a lot of money
(probably 8 figures over 7 years) and a great recruiting job to bring him
here.

	Which brings me to my last point.  As a loyal C's fan since '85 I
am very grateful to M.L. for holding down the fort during this low point
in our history.  The Montross trade may turn out to be (depending on what
happens on May 18 and June 24) the most one sided trade in the NBA over
the last 10 years.  Furthermore M.L. is a good motivator and deserves a
lot of credit for keeping everyone happy and playing hard throughout this
terrible (albeit necessary) season.  But with that said, Rick Pitino is
flat out a much better coach.  And that's not a knock on M.L., Pitino has
much more coaching experience.  I would like to see M.L. still have a
meaningful role with the team next year; but if having Bird call the
shots is what it takes to land Pitino, then that is what must be done.

	Mishra, Bentz, jlyell, Theresa, Donrine, JOzersky, Paul M,
BigDave, Chris Gee (and everyone else), what are your thoughts?

Jeremy