Boston wrangler (Pitino story)

Bird's talked to Pitino about coaching Celtics

 CBS SportsLine staff and wires
 April 4, 1997

 LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Kentucky coach Rick Pitino has confirmed to a
 Louisville radio station that he has spoken with Larry Bird more than
 once about coaching the Boston Celtics.

 Pitino was in Louisville for a book appearance on Thursday and told
 WHAS that Bird contacted him during the season and again this past
 week to discuss the head coaching position. Bird was named as a
 special assistant by the Celtics after a legendary playing career with the
 franchise and there have been rumors that he will become the team's
 general manager after the 1996-97 season.

 "He (Bird) told me about the Boston Celtics, what he thought needed
 to be done,'' Pitino told WHAS. "I listened, thanked him very much,
 told him I was very happy at Kentucky but if I had a change of heart,
 I'd let him know."

 The Boston Globe reported that Bird made the call to Pitino during the
 season at the request of Celtics chairman Paul Gaston to see if he
 would have "interest in the (Celtics) job down the road."

 PITINO CONFIRMED THAT BIRD CALLED again on
 Wednesday, two days after Kentucky was beaten in the NCAA title
 game by Arizona.

 "He said 'Coach, it's after the season, would you have interest in the
 Boston Celtics?'" said Pitino. "I said 'Larry, I'm really happy at
 Kentucky. I have no desire to leave. But I will think about it and let
 you know.'"

 Bird has said on numerous occasions that he views Pitino and Pat Riley
 of the Miami Heat as the best coaches in basketball.

 Kentucky athletic director C.M. Newton said Friday the school would
 not respond to every rumor about Pitino, whose name has surfaced in
 connection with NBA jobs nearly every spring since he came to
 Kentucky. Pitino coached the New York Knicks before coming to
 Kentucky.

 "Rick and I have a great understanding and great relationship," Newton
 said. "He's wonderful to work with and ... at any point if any of these
 pro offers reach any level of seriousness, we're going to sit down and
 discuss it, we'll at that point make it public so that our fans will know
 what's going on. But unless that happens, don't pay any attention to any
 of this stuff."

 M.L. Carr has been the head coach and director of basketball
 operations of the Celtics for the past two seasons. But all indications
 are that he will be relieved of his duties after a nightmarish 1996-97
 season. The Celtics have the second-worst record in the NBA at
 13-61, better than only the second-year Vancouver Grizzlies. The
 NBA's other second-year team -- the Toronto Raptors -- has 14 more
 wins than the Celtics.

 Pitino declined a lucrative offer to return to the NBA as head coach
 and director of operations of the New Jersey Nets after leading
 Kentucky to the national championship in 1996. The offer included
 part ownership of the franchise as well as control of player personnel.

 Pitino has coached at Kentucky for the last eight years. He previously
 served as a head coach in the NBA with the New York Knicks. Pitino
 had a 90-74 record in two years with the Knicks.

 New York finished 24-58 in 1986-87 and improved to 38-44 the
 following season in Pitino's first year. The Knicks went 52-30 under
 Pitino in 1988-89. But philosophical differences with general manager
 Al Bianchi caused Pitino to leave the Knicks and accept the head
 coaching position at Kentucky in 1989.

IT'S MY GAME - Australian Rugby League.

Cheers,

	Michael