Re: Duncan (What else?) (fwd)

> > I hate to break it to you Celtic fanatics, but I wouldn't get too
> > excited because there are many possible scenarios:
> >
> > 1. It is a lottery drawing meaning that all 14 teams without playoff
> > berths get a shot. It's conceivable a team just missing the playoffs
> > like Indiana or Washington could get it although their chances aren't as
> > good. Case in point: Toronto won the lottery last year and they were the
> > third worst team. They couldn't get the pick because they were an
> > expansion team so it went to Philadelphia (the team with the worst
> > record--Vancouver, the second worst team got the third pick.)

There are 29 teams in the NBA.  13 don't make the playoffs.  Of those
thirteen, only 11 can get the number one pick (Vanc and Tor are not
eligible).  Of those 11, Boston represents two, and right now of those
eleven chances, Boston has the best chance and the 5th best chance at the
number 1 pick.  Still, you make a good point because all totaled, Boston
may have the best shot, but nine other teams have some shot and that
leaves Boston with only around a 35% chance of getting the number one
pick.  I don't like those odds.

> > 2. San Antonio is playing like absolute garbage without mighty, mighty
> > D.R. Even if they finish with a better record than the C's, they could
> > gain the pick (It would be typical Celtics luck!)

Are the Celtics going to win 5 out of the last 8 games?  SA won't finish
with a worse record than the Cs!

> > 3. Now I know I will take a lot of heat for this one. Keep in mind I
> > don't wish the guy any harm and I hope he makes it to the NBA, but Tim
> > Duncan could be dead by the time October rolls around! Sounds crazy,
> > even psychotic you say? Len Bias, Reggie Lewis, need I say more. (Once
> > again, typical Celtics luck!)

What is your point?

> > 4. Duncan could be one of those arrogant bastards (ala Kobe Bryant, that
> > little SOB) and REFUSE, that's right REFUSE, to play for a market like
> > Boston. Maybe he like so many others will not want to work with M.L.
> > (More Losses) Carr or 0-the century FG shooting Todd Day. He is used
> > with playing with winners and not a bunch of overpaid chronically
> > injured losers (with the exception of the three W's and maybe Fox)

There is a mximum that the Celtics can pay him and they probably will
offer it to him.  Why would he hold out?  At worst he plays the three
years and leaves, but if we still suck after three years, then we have
problems anyways.  He can't simply go to another team unless you think he
will go to Europe.

> > Rip me Celtics fans. I don't care. I don't hate them. I watch every game
> > and even root for them on occassion. I just know what I've seen since I
> > moved here 4 years ago and it never changes.

Celtics 16 - Lakers 11.  Nothing else matters.  Once Larry and Magic left
the league, it became a race to see who could be the first to get back to
champion status.  Lakers are in the lead, but there is still time to catch
them.

CJM