More in the Continuing Series...

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 22:09:34 CST 2006

Repost from Whochat Forum:

>RIAA: Copying Your CD's Onto Your Ipod is Illegal.
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004409.php

RIAA Says Ripping CDs to Your iPod is NOT Fair Use
February 15, 2006

It is no secret that the entertainment oligopolists are not happy about
space-shifting and format-shifting. But surely ripping your own CDs to your
own iPod passes muster, right? In fact, didn't they admit as much in front
of the Supreme Court during the MGM v. Grokster argument last year?

Apparently not.

As part of the on-going DMCA rule-making proceedings, the RIAA and other
copyright industry associations submitted a filing that included this gem as
part of their argument that space-shifting and format-shifting do not count
as noninfringing uses, even when you are talking about making copies of your
own CDs:

"Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular
circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that
the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that
authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for
copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about
authorization, not about fair use."

For those who may not remember, here's what Don Verrilli said to the Supreme
Court last year:

"The record companies, my clients, have said, for some time now, and it's
been on their website for some time now, that it's perfectly lawful to take
a CD that you've purchased, upload it onto your computer, put it onto your
iPod."

If I understand what the RIAA is saying, "perfectly lawful" means "lawful
until we change our mind." So your ability to continue to make copies of
your own CDs on your own iPod is entirely a matter of their sufferance. What
about all the indie label CDs? Do you have to ask each of them for
permission before ripping your CDs? And what about all the major label
artists who control their own copyrights? Do we all need to ask them, as
well?

P.S.: The same filing also had this to say: "Similarly, creating a back-up
copy of a music CD is not a non-infringing use...."