Radio License for Shops

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 14 19:32:34 CST 2006

Here's an even better one.  From Whochat Forum:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/4712008.stm

Customers Have No Rights To Music

A motorbike and scooter repair firm has been told to switch off its radio
when customers are able to hear it or get a special £85 licence.

The Performing Rights Society sent a warning letter to Bedlam Scooters on
the Elms Industrial Estate in Bedford.

Director Mark Haines, said: "We first had a phone call telling us we needed
a licence to play music in our workshop.

"We thought it was a wind-up at first, but then we had the letter and
leaflet delivered the next morning."

The cost of a licence is £85 but the company has decided to turn off the
music instead.

"We only have the radio on in the workshop but it seems that if it is on
when a customer is present and we have no licence then we are breaking the
law," Mr Haines said.

"We only have around half a dozen customers visit a day but now every time
one comes in the radio goes off. It's not like we are a big store pumping
music down the aisles. We just have Radio 2 on and listen to Terry Wogan,
Ken Bruce and Steve Wright."

A notice has gone up in the workshop telling customers they cannot listen to
the radio as they do not have a licence.

A Performing Rights Society spokesman said: "Anyone wanting to play music in
public needs the permission of the people who wrote every piece of music
they intend to play.

"To make this easier, composers and songwriters formed 'collecting
societies' to grant these permissions on their behalf.

"From time to time, the society focuses on small segments of potential
licensees who may not know about the work of the society.

"Currently, we are writing to motor traders to explain about the work it
does and the way composers and songwriters are paid."