Stones at the Superbowl - Lip Sync and Backing Tracks

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 18:57:18 CST 2006

>Jackson..the stones, and mccartney, were live.

How do you know this?  Has there been some disucussion of it that I haven't
seen?  Interviews that stated it was completely live?  Maybe I'm just
turning into a total cynic on this subject, but I'd like to hear some
further info about it.  I recall that someone accused Pete/The Who of faking
it a few years back--the 2000 tour, maybe?  The Who makes no bones about
their backing tracks--sometimes they don't even bother to sing along--but
would they fake us out on a completely prerecorded song or show?

Likely we should define "live" before we talk about it.  I notice this is
where we often have problems, so maybe we're having them again.  McCartney
said he would be playing "live," but what he played wouldn't be what we
heard.  So, is that really "live"?

Is backing tracks live?  Is prerecording the music and singing over it live?
  Is appearing and dancing but lip syncing to prerecorded music live?  What
about the Milli Vanilli route where you have someone else prerecord your
music?  What is "live" anyway?

keets