Spreading the Gospel

I just handed over my 2disc Quadrophenia to the new bass player in my band in
order to enlighten him.

At our last practice, Parker and I switched our axes; he took my Gibson SG and
I took his Fender Jazz bass to play some silly Guns and Roses tune he wanted
to do.  He was showing me how the opening guitar riff went, and we just ended
up going through the song, him on guitar me on bass with the rest of the band.
After practice, he asked me if I could reproduce the bass riff I was playing
as it was in a style that he liked but wasn't familiar with.  He said he
really liked the looping riff I was playing, even though I couldn't recreate
it on command.  It just sort of comes to me while the music's playing.

Anyway, a smile spread across my face as I told him I had just the piece of
music for him - Quadrophenia.  I told him the truth:  the only reason I ever
learned to play music at all was because of The Who.  When I play guitar, I
play like Pete.  When I play bass, I play like John.  And when I play drums, I
TRY to play like Keith.  Forget singing, my wife handles the vocals and I
can't do Daltrey any justice.  So anyway again, I told him to give Quad a
listen and focus on the virtuoso work of Entwistle to see if he'd like it.
Our next band practice is tomorrow night.  The first thing I'm going to do is
to look for that shine on his face like Chuck Heston had when he saw the
burning bush.  He's 22 yrs old, so we'll see how Quad stacks up with a kid who
doesn't know The Who...  Pray for his soul.

Jim in Colorado

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S.
Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate,
air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to
the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction
programs."

Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom Daschle,
John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998