Too tired to think of a subject title...bomb...or something....

>From: Marcus Surrealius <bushchoked@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Looking for 'da bomb'...and the Stones
>
>> Ummmm, none of the bands you list above have even
>> come *close* to the sort of song like BBE, Baba,
>> WGFA, WAY (could even throw in Bargain and a number
>> of others).
>
>Kevin:
>
>Not true. Just to take the easiest one: The Kinks have
>certainly done much music on the Who level.

I didn't say on "The Who level", I'm looking at the level of the songs above.
The Grand level.

>Songs like
>Shangri-La, Waterloo Sunset, Sunny Afternoon, Death Of
>A Clown...I could go on.

You could, but I still wouldn't recognize a one.  And I listen to a bunch of music.
Tell me the last time any of these songs made it to the radio?

>XTC would be even easier, now
>that I think about it.

Doubt it.

>But the point is: to a fan of the band, the "next
>album" could be a "great one."

Nope, i think you've misunderstood the point.
*My* point was that with The Who, a band that owns some of the grandest songs in rock, the potential for new songs is higher than with bands that only have good songs.

>> Look at all the airplay they still get some 30 years
>> later.
>
>Um...I could make that argument to make the Eagles the
>greatest band in the world.

Well not for the 'greatest band in the world', but radio airplay does reflect relative popularity.
That is just one meter however.

>> Come on Mark, are you telling us that the above
>> bands compete with The Who?
>
>Some of them, Yep. Of course! Come ON Kevin! Don't be
>so Whocentric!

I'm not Whocentric.  I'm a realist.  I'm a fan of music.
The Who's best, can't be touched by any other band.
Period.

>> If so, please tear up your membership card, 'cause
>> you obviously don't have any more use for it!
>
>Why, because I'm either "with The Who or against it?"
>I haven't thought THAT way since I was about 8 years
>old. Unlike a certain public official.

Nope, not saying that either.
Just trying to make the point that...

Oh hell, Mark.
This is supposed to be a no-brainer, and you're pulling it all apart.

An analogy....
If Bach were still alive, and writing a new piece, the potential would be huge.
He's done it.  He's achieved the top.
Not just anyone can claim that.
You have to have achieved the top to hold potential to again revisit the top.

Kevin in VT

Confidentiality Notice: