1989 tommy video

Well, I got the now infamous 89' video.  I know that tour has been criticized
widely here, so I was looking forward to finally seeing it.  Well, I must
agree with most of the criticism.

My impression of it was that Pete didn't really want to be in The Who or play
with The Who, so as a compromise he agreed to be part of a larger concept
than a rock band, with the singers and horns and extra percussionist and him on
rhythm guitar and someone else on lead (though seemed to be because of Pete's
hand injury).  It seemed like he didn't want to re-group with Roger and John
without the buffer of the huge extra apparatus of the backing band.  I gotta
believe Rog and John weren't too keen on it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the video.  After all, Pete, John, and Roger
were there, and Pete is amazing on rhythm acoustic.  However, as we all know
that's not the Who.  I enjoyed the guests, as well.  Phil Collins was a trip as
Uncle Ernie, and Patti Labelle lit a fire under the audience with the Acid
Queen- even though she botched the lyrics.  Billy Idol is an asshole, but everyone
knows that.  His antics reminded me why I always hated his guts.  Roger
should have punched him.

Roger's voice sounded great in spots, and sick in spots.  Some places he
sounded like the 30's roger, others he sounded worse than he does now.  It was
weird because he so many opportunities to rest his voice.  His hair was a
frightening mullet, but that was the decade of that haircut.  Pete's
combover/ponytail was awful, but he's PT so who cares.  It was also weird to hear Pete solo
stuff at a Who show, but I guess that was another concession John and Rog made.

Simon Phillips was incredible.  Loved his style and energetic behavior behind
the kit.  Why didn't they stay with him through today?  I love Zak, but
Simon's also great.  Just wondering what the story is there.

Mc