-----Mensagem original-----
De: owner-thewho@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-thewho@xxxxxxxx] Em nome de Jim
Sigel
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2004 14:43
Para: Who List
Assunto: Saturday Night's All Right

I listened to a song the other day from The 'Oo that I've always loved,
but I don't know much about the recording of it or why they even
recorded it all. I'm talking about their cover of Elton John's "Saturday
Night's All Right For Fighting", henceforth referred to as "SNARFF"
throughout the remainder of this utterance.  It's a blistering version
and one of the few cover songs, from any band, that is better than the
original version in my opinion.  I wondered what you all think about
this particular song, because for me to say that it's better than
Elton's original version, it reeks of my powerful Who-bias.

However, I'm not convinced that it's still biased for me to say that The
Who's version is better because I look at other cover songs by the Who
and the originals still stand up on their own for me.  Take "Summertime
Blues" for example.  Even though I'll always prefer The Who's version, I
absolutely love the original Eddie Cocharan (sp?) tune too.  Or "Shakin'
All Over" if you will.

I think Daltrey blows EJ off the map with his performance of SNARFF, and
Pete and John's contributions are scorching.  I think it's a fantastic
cover of the song, complete with medley.  What I don't know about the
song is why they recorded it.  I know it was for the EJ/BT tribute
album, and I know the Who's connection to EJ, but for a band who doesn't
get into the studio very often (and we all know THAT'S the
understatement of the year), it's surprising that they would come out of
"retirement" to record a cover song.  Does anyone know the background of
this recording?  And who played drums?

I think I'm going to go put it on now, as I get ready to perform my
civic duty and go to my second jury duty visit in a week.  I just love
those Entwistle bass runs over the chorus...

Jim in Colorado

PS - Only got to say SNARFF once though.  I like the sound of it -
"SNARFF"... Rolls off the tongue.