Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V11 #100

Martin, re

> > I received this CD from Amazon.  It's a new Pete CD, with a union Jack
cover.

> > Don't buy it.  It's a con.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong - the music is fine.  But it's simply a repackaged
and
> > cut-down version of the Pete Townshend Live CD from 1999.
> >
> > This is a worrying idea though.  What's to stop all record companies
> > regularly repackaging and  re-releasing old material?  Without
attempting to
> > suggest that this is simply a reissue.  How many other fans can they
sucker
> > this way?

Actually, it goeas on all the time over her in Britain.

I notice it particularly with the Yes and ELP catalogue, where as an example
an ELP album called Then and Now - a double live album with material from
1974 and 1998 has been repackaged as a single live album of the new material
only. There is no mention whatsoever on the CD that it has been previously
released.

I have no objection to any label repackaging their material, providing they
make it clear that it is a reissue.

The answer is of ocurse to know your band's material on every album
perfectly, then you can easily spot a repackaged album :-)

Cheers,

John