Re: The Who's Popularity Peak

In a message dated 4/8/2004 11:01:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
petenotped@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
You've made a strong case but I still think I'm right!

And that's why we love you.  Hey, at least you got us talking about The Who
again.

Right!

Jim,

I think the point Scott is addressing is what he brought up about the Who's
popularity and pull in general society vs. that of say, the Stones.  Today the
Stones still have much of it and the Who doesn't have nearly what they used to
have.  There are no Who blimps over my house in 2004.  No Who commercials  on
tv.

So what Scott is bugged by I believe, is, why is this the case?  I think the
main reason is because of no new product.  The reason for this was because
Pete's solo career took first place away from the Who in Pete's mind.  Since it
was Ronnie Laine that encouraged him to get away from writing Who songs and put
out the solo stuff, we can put the blame firmly on The Faces for the
destruction of the Who.  They even sent their drummer to do an inside job. It was a
planned conspiracy! No wonder Roger didn't like Kenney.

Jon in Mi.