Re: The Who's Popularity Peak

In a message dated 4/7/2004 3:47:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think Moon's untimely death had more to do with catapulting them into
their popularity peak than the WAY single did.  It was the tragedy & their
decision to go on which garnered all the attention.

Maybe for some, but not for me.  I take the cover of Who Are You to signify
how immense of a machine this band was at the time. They were atop a mountain
of equipment with the world record for volume and an unbeaten streak. "We paid
the price. We built this thing. Our shoes have many miles on them. We *are*
The Who. Who are *you*?, punks."

Attitude. Tons of attitude. That's what the Who is and that's why they didn't
quit. Keith's death wasn't even processed it seems!  However, I believe that
what did do them in was Pete's solo career. He had to choose. It blurred his
focus and took his heart out. As Pete goes, so goes this band.

This problem seems to be sorted out at present.

Jon in Mi.