Re: NewOperaTwinkle

In a message dated 9/26/2003 9:40:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
No.  My point is (again!) that many fans who go see a group in concert (and
even buy their CDs) don't necessarily know some of the basic information
about the group (such as band members' names, etc.).  And I postulate that,
in the case of a Who concert, those type of fans may compose up to 40% of
the audience.  Maybe we should both publish our papers & be done with this
argument.
Scott:

I agree with your side on this and I understand Kevin's point. (talk about
Switzerland)!  I've looked at the people at the shows and have talked to them.
You guys have too.  Some are there with friends, some know TheWho is a great
show and go just because they heard that, some win tickets on the radio, some
are business owners and have seats year round like the section I was in in Grand
Rapids(BOO!).  Most of them didn't know who the hell TheWho really was until
the encore hit and then they understood why I was jumping so much and
subsequently doled out the high fives. (or was it just the beer kicking in)?  I kissed
one dude's wife and he didn't even care he was so into it by then and he said
before the show he was an "Eagles" fan.  <No, I didn't! Just kidding!>

In Detroit 2002 out of the 10 tickets I was responsible for getting sold, I
was the lone Who "freak." Three were my kids, 2 were their friends, and four
were their mom and her husband and their friends, hardly knowledgeable Who fans,
but they had the money and heard it was a great show.  They were right.  I
gave them all the I told you so afterwards.  I doubt they cared much about John
or knew him.

On the other hand I saw this dude that is in the church with me there and he
had row three while I had row five.  He's a studious guy that happens to be an
Entwistle NUT and is a bass player that was wearing this homemade Who coat
with Who patches and stuff all over it that I never knew he had.  We often talk
about the stuff that always gets me into trouble on this list and can
understand it. Now HE is the kind that Kevin is talking about. But he is rare, like
us.

Back when I saw them at the Cotton Bowl in '82, Billy Squier opened, and
later he came out with that song "Don't say you love me, just say... Huh!" Not to
mention my main band "Steel Breeze" so many dolts were afoot at that one.

Jon in Mi.