Re: NewOperaTwinkle

> Senator, you were comparing what fans would know of the bands.
> And, by doing so placed both bands on an equal stage.
> As *equals*!

I was....giving....an....example.  Not equating the two bands musically.
Sheesh!  Are you nuts?

> There's just a bit of a difference between The Who, arguably the greatest
> band in the world vs. Tom Petty and his players (who gives a shit about
> the rest).

You think a Tom Petty freak worships him less than a Who freak worships The
Who?  You do a disservice to hardcore fans of other bands by saying that.
Remember - we're talking about *the fans* here, not the bands.  You keep
slipping away from the point of this discussion.

> Are you *really* surprised that people may not know the band members that
> support Tom?

No.  My point is (again!) that many fans who go see a group in concert (and
even buy their CDs) don't necessarily know some of the basic information
about the group (such as band members' names, etc.).  And I postulate that,
in the case of a Who concert, those type of fans may compose up to 40% of
the audience.  Maybe we should both publish our papers & be done with this
argument.

> Now, if the Who were Pete Townshend and his boogie boys, and they hadn't
> achieved the sort of success that The Who had, then yeah, maybe people
> wouldn't concentrate on the other members much.

OK, let's use your U2 example.  You say you don't know the names of the
bass player & drummer (Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen Jr., BTW).  I'd be
willing to bet that you have one or two U2 CDs in your collection.  And
if you haven't seen them in concert, perhaps you'd be willing to, if going
with friends, or if you got a cheap ticket, etc.  Then you'd be at the U2
concert, not knowing the names of the bass player & drummer.  And there
would be many others just like you at that concert.

And at the same time, some U2-internet-list version of Kevin O'Neal (let's
call him Poopie) is typing away at his computer, saying that people who go
to U2 concerts must at least know the names of all the band members -
because Poopie thinks U2 is one of the greatest, most famous rock bands of
all times.

But Poopie's statement is wrong.  There are many people at the U2 concert
who are just there to have a good time.  They own some U2 CDs but don't
really concern themselves with details about the band such as the names of
the drummer & bass player.  Poor Poopie.  He has U2 tunnelvision.  He's
not thinking soundly.

> They aren't just going to a rock show.  They are seeing The Who, one of
> the greatest bands on earth.

Tunnelvision.

> I'm uncomfortable with you throwing The Who in the same bucket as all
> other rock bands.

Tunnelvision.

> You're forgetting the history.  They (including John) are legends.

Tunnelvision.

> Keep in mind that my original premise was that if The Who toured again
> with another greatest hits tour, that people would consider strongly not
> going because of John's absence.

Fine, but the reason I'm involved in this discussion is because you object-
ed to Mc's ascertain that many people at Who shows know only of Roger &
Pete, & not John.  I still maintain that more people than you realize who
attend Who shows would indeed *be* hard-pressed to name Entwistle.

> Hell, people sold their tickets this *last* tour!

A few, yes.  But according to your theory, the venues should've only been
about half full because Entwistle had died as he was a huge part of the
band & everyone knew of him.  After all, Entwistle did die before the tour
got under way.  Where was that mass exodus you're so sure would happen if
they did another greatest hits tour?  By your reasoning, it should've been
evident in 2002.

> Who Are You had just come out at the time of Keith's death.
> It's Hard (for you) came out in '82.
> New material will always bring people to a show.

Wrong.  The three albums you mention are considered the three weakest studio
Who albums.  You think the shows were packed in '79 & '82 because people
were craving to hear the new stuff live?  Listen to yourself!

> Oh, not to mention this is a completely different era, with a vastly
> different level of popularity.

Why don't you qualify your statements before you make them, then.  You asked
for an example, I gave you one, & now you say it doesn't count because it
was a "different era."  Listen to yourself!

> Looks like the refs just called you for illegal procedure instead.

You're down by 10, there's 1:53 left, & you're out of timeouts.  I got this
one in the bag, buddy!

- SCHRADE in Akron

The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists -
that is why they invented hell.
	- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)