The Edge of Pete

> No way, it was with October (1981). The single Gloria.

Welcome back, Mr. Leaman.  "Gloria" also got me into U2.  Early MTV.  And
you're right - by the time of Live Aid, U2 were already very well-known.
After Live Aid, they were on there way to superstardom.  And two years
later, in 1987, JOSHUA TREE confirmed that superstar status.

> ....of course no one listens to me anymore....

Stop imagining things, Jo.  We *are*......"listening to you."  ;-)

> I didn't become aware of U2 until Live Aid, or about then.

Snooze you lose, Cuzzle Kavil!  You were about 5 years late.

> His guitarwork seems very similar to Pete's....

You know, I don't hear *that much* of a Pete influence in Edge's guitar
work.  And I don't recall any Edge interviews where he's mentioned Pete
being an influence.

Now, there's *one* example of Pete's playing that made me think, "Wow, that
sounds like the Edge."  Some boots from the '79 tour feature a little riff
in "Sparks" that really sounds like that jangly, quickly-strummed Edge tech-
nique.  But by '79 the Edge was already playing guitar & it's very doubtful
he based his entire approach to the instrument on one little snippet/riff he
may or may not have heard Pete play in 1979.

- SCHRADE in Akron

The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists -
that is why they invented hell.
	- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)