Re: John's absence

>From: Sroundtable@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: John's absence
>
>I was responding to the assertion that the response to the video and
pictures of John during the 2002 Tour was evidence that average rock fans
sorely missed >him.

Ok, you too are losing your focus.  You were talking about ticket sales.
You know, those that actually go to a Who concert.  Are those people just
average rock fans?  Not in my book.  If so, not many rock fans out there.

>People were going to cheer whether they knew how great JAE was, or not.

Yes, because they're all lemmings, I guess.

>>Voted by his peers as> the greatest rock bassist of the millennium.

>Well, his peers weren't the concert goers.

The point was that even casual readers of music mags. knew of John's bass
abilities and his award for rock bassist of the millennium.
It was in all sorts of magazines.  The people at Who concerts knew about
John.  You seem to be under the impression that people with only the mildest
interest in music attend Who shows.
That's not how it is.

>John was/is only widely known among musicians and hardcore classic rock
fans.

Bullshit.

> I would also argue that the lack of popularity the JEB had is evidence of
this.

Oh please.  Then the same would have to be true for Roger and Pete.
Not.

>The only reason they didn't draw large crowds was because John wasn't that
well-known (unfortunately).

Again, not.  Some people just aren't interested, or that into music to dig
deeper than the original band.
That takes a special level of commitment to music.  Even *I* didn't start to
dig into John's solo works till about 3-4 years ago...some 16 years after
being a Who fan, and fan of The Quiet One.
So...

Kevin in VT