Re: U2 and Isabella

>They hadn't hit international recognition status until after...what was it...The AfriAid (?) concert. Bono's even quoted as such. When was that? 1985 or so.

Kevin:

No way, it was with October (1981). The single Gloria. Followed by the album War, huge that one. Then Under A Blood Red Sky, live at Red Rocks. By Live Aid they were one of the biggest bands playing that day.

>Is "The Edge" a Pete Townshend fan?

Listen to his guitarwork. That's all I have to say.

>>The Police, however, remain "Sting's first band."

>Exactly.

Nah. The Police were the biggest band in the world when they broke up. Fact. If they got back together, it would be bigger than a U2 tour. U2 stopped being relevent with Zooropa (yech). And what about REM, you guys are forgetting REM.

> It just gets old.

You know MY thinking on this, but I'll restate it anyway: the Who were too high to stoop so low as to become an Oldies review show. Or is that Revue? When Roger dies is Pete going to go out as Peter Townshend and the Original Who?

> I'm white???

Yeah, it really is a bummer that day you wake up, look in the mirror and realize you're not Wilson Pickett. Or Edwin Starr.

> True, although on the last night of the 1997 tour, Pete said, "This is our
last show on this tour...any tour."

Mike:

How many times does that make so far he's said it's over?

> In the olden days, I'd go to Kazaa and get a sample, but after getting a killer
virus from Kazaa and the fear of being sued, I no longer have that luxury.

Jo:

Well, NOW musicians might actually make a little money and have an incentive to make music and we might get some decent new bands, which have been sadly lacking since people began believing in Santa Claus, uh, I mean believing they should get music for free.

>these days, with word that Pete is now working on a
5.1 surround mix of Quad. These, coupled with the

Ken:

DAMN IT! And here I've been trying desperately to find a program which will allow me to mix my quad Quad into 5.1 so it can be heard properly. Another project bites the dust...DAMN, I've already spend a few months working on this.

>Mark, if you're still on the list - have you guys been spared?

Joe:

Thanks, yes it's not even very windy here. We're supposed to get 50 MPH winds tomorrow and a bit of rain, but I've dealt with worse than that in my car. It's NC and beyond that's going to get it.

I'm still on the list, but have been spending my time working with my online business and helping the Westley Clark campaign. Getting him to run, really. Onward and upward until we're out of this filthy stinking effin' mess of lies and money games.

> However, it's pretty far off-topic.

Paul:

Clearly you've never been in a hurricane. I have. They're a lot like a Who concert, only tamer.

>I'm a little confused about these new releases. They are SACD, right? Can
they be played on ordinary CD players? Does a simple stereo amp. play them
as stereo, or do you need a surround sound system?

Jim M:

You can certainly have 5.1 on a regular CD. MG cannot be played in a regular CD player, but the Stones releases can be. They're all just stereo, so I can't tell you about a 5.1 playing on a stereo system, but I'd say it's likely.

Cheers         ML

Please visit us on the web for frequently updated stock listings:
www.amazon.com/shops/mleaman2