Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V10 #270

JOELTLE515@xxxxxxx wrote;

> > now, in my mind, the first "metal" song was "helter skelter" by the
> > beatles, released on their white album in 1968

Without wishing to get too "oh no it wasn't", I always thought the first "metal" song was Purple Haze, or possibly Sunshine of your love, or even You really got me. You could also put Hush by Deep Purple up for that claim, too. Again, all my oppinion, but Helter Skelter by the Beatles doesn't - again, IMO - have any claim to be the first "metal" song. Egad, Relax off The Who Sell Out is morte metally than that!

In any case, Born to be Wild always lays clain to be the inspiration for the phrase heavy metal in both lyric ("I like smoke and lightning, heavy metal thunder") and the music itself.

Buty isn't hat the wonder of this kind of discussion?

Cheers,

John